Case of the variable laminatesA plywood manufacturer has asked for your assistance in solving a problem in the log-peeling operation. The peeling process consists of soaking debarked logs in a hot bath, fixing the logs in chunks, and rapidly spinning them while shaving off a continuous thin section called lamination with a sharp knife blade. The laminations are then cut into sheets to be laid up, glued, and pressed into plywood sheets. The manufacturer is having difficulty maintaining a controlled thickness when peeling laminations from a log.Discussions with engineering and the process operators indicate that four variables are related to laminate thickness: soak time, soak temperature, knife, pressure, and knife setting. The knife setting is pretty straight forward and is not felt to be a source of variation in the process. Specifications call for logs to be soaked for 60 minutes, but no process control for this process is in place. Some logs are peeled after as little as 30 minutes soak time.The operators believe that this causes some of the variation, but they are under the gun to keep the peeler busy, even if it means compromising on the soak time. The engineers feel that knife pressure may contribute to the thickness variation. Knife pressure setting is not standardized – operators set it between 250 psi and 300 psi based on their experience. Soak Temperature varies between 150 degrees and 200 degrees, depending on how much bark has accumulated around the heating coils.Thickness measurements are made every 15 minutes on the laminate. The variation does not seem to follow a particular pattern. Design an experiment that will assist the process engineers in determining what actions to take to reduce laminate thickness variation. Provide them with your assessment of the causes of the variation and how to use the results of the experiment to define the optimal operating conditions for the process. Need an abstract page and one full page to explain and I got the reference page unless another course is used.
We offer the best custom paper writing services. We have done this question before, we can also do it for you.
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How It Works
- Click on the “Place Your Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.