4.1 Devotion: Leader Discouragement- A Loss of Confidence
As we continue our devotional series on the sources of discouragement that Nehemiah faced when endeavoring to rebuild the walls of the city of Jerusalem, we turn our attention to another important source of discouragement: a loss of confidence. Previously, we read inÂ
Nehemiah 4:6(new tab)
Â that the people had begun the rebuilding project with the heart they needed to do the work, but the loss of strength and vision combined to undermine their confidence. In verse 10, we read that the people began whining: â€œWe ourselves are unable to build the wall.â€
When people, be they leaders or followers, lose confidence in their abilities to achieve a task, the frequent result is discouragement. The Holy Scriptures offer many examples of how God gives us confidence to do what needs to be done. InÂ
Hebrews 13:6(new tab)
, we read: â€œThe Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?â€ InÂ
Isaiah 40:31(new tab)
, the prophet wrote: â€œâ€¦those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not be faint.â€Â
Joshua 1:9(new tab)
Â states this more strongly: â€œHave I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.â€ How could one remain discouraged for long after reading what God has promised to us in the way of His strength and confidence?!
Upon successful completion of this assignment, you will be able to:
Â· Integrate biblical perspectives for promoting holistic well-being in organizational members.
1. Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
2. Review the information in the Getting Started section.Â
3. Write a half to one-page reflection paper (Word document) that describes a situation where you lost confidence that ultimately led to discouragement. What was the root cause of your loss of confidence? How did you regain your confidence and what effect did that have on the discouragement you felt?
4. Incorporate two Scripture verses or passages of your choosing (other than those included above) that speak to how we are to deal with discouragement and/or a lack of confidence.
5. Reflection papers are to be written in accordance withÂ
APA Guidelines (7th ed.)(new tab)
Â including format guidelines. Papers must be logical, well organized, grammatically correct, and have correct spelling and sentence structure.Â Write in complete paragraphs.Â